The world of HVAC technology has been revolutionized by the integration of Ultraviolet (UV) light systems, typically known as germicidal air purifiers. These intricate systems possess the capability to eradicate approximately 100% of harmful pathogens, including germs, viruses, mold spores, bacteria, fungi, and other harmful microorganisms, as they journey through your HVAC system. This review will delve deeper into this advanced system, highlighting its mechanism, benefits, potential limitations, and its installation procedure.
Understanding the Mechanism of UV HVAC Lights
Germicidal UV HVAC lights have been engineered to purify your home’s air, thereby improving air quality. These UV air purifiers utilize UV-C light, a particular light wavelength of 254 nanometers, which is readily absorbed by the DNA of microorganisms.
This UV light exposure does not instantaneously exterminate the organisms. Instead, it incapacitates them, making them unable to produce the essential proteins they require to survive and multiply. This sterilization process inhibits these organisms’ capability to inflict harm and eventually curtails their lifespan.
Exploring Types of HVAC UV Light Systems
UV lights for HVAC systems fall under two primary categories:
- Coil Sterilization: These UV air purifiers are strategically mounted inside the air handler near the evaporator coil. The UV-C light operates continuously, aiming to impede microbial growth on the evaporator coil and sterilize contaminants as they navigate through your HVAC system.
- Air Sterilization: These air purifiers are installed in the return air duct and are synchronized with your HVAC system to activate only when the system is operational, effectively sterilizing air before it is inducted into your system. As it purifies all the air circulating through your system, it also aids in sterilizing HVAC components in proximity to the purifier.
The Procedure for Installing HVAC Air Purifiers
Installation of UV lighting within your system’s evaporating unit must only be executed by a professional HVAC technician. The technician is responsible for ensuring proper installation and wiring of the air purifier, thorough cleaning of the air handler system, and meticulous inspection of the ductwork for potential leaks.
Unveiling the Benefits of an HVAC UV Light System
The installation of a germicidal air purifier offers numerous benefits:
- It restricts the growth of mold and mildew, which thrive in the damp environment created by your AC.
- It neutralizes volatile organic compounds (VOCs), organic chemicals that exhibit strong vapors at room temperature.
- It sterilizes viruses and bacteria before they have a chance to be recirculated back into your living space.
- It assists your AC to run more efficiently by keeping bacterial growth at bay.
However, despite its numerous benefits, UV lights in HVAC systems are not without their limitations.
Limitations of UV HVAC Air Purifiers
Although germicidal air purifiers sterilize your home’s air, they do not eradicate the microorganisms. As a result, allergens might persist, causing discomfort to those with allergies.
Moreover, UV air purifiers are effective only if the microorganisms traverse through the UV-C light within your HVAC system. This implies that if your HVAC system has damaged or leaky ducts, the resultant vacuum can draw in new contaminants, which might evade sterilization.
Hence, UV HVAC light systems ideally need to be supplemented with another type of air filtration system. Germicidal UV lights are often paired with air filters with high MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values) ratings, which measure the filter’s ability to remove small contaminants.
Make the Right Choice with Century Air Conditioning & Heat
Should you decide to install a UV HVAC light in your home, Century Air Conditioning & Heat is at your service. As one of the most reliable UV HVAC light installation service providers in the Orlando area, our HVAC technicians will guide you through the pros and cons of a germicidal UV light and other air filtration systems. Contact us at 407-894-8417 or schedule a free in-home estimate. We’re dedicated to improving your home’s air quality swiftly and efficiently.
About Century Air Conditioning & Heating
Century Air Conditioning & Heat was established in 1986. We’re a family owned and operated HVAC contractor in Orlando, FL. For over 36 years, we’ve been a trusted source for air conditioning equipment, heating equipment and related services. Century is an A+ BBB accredited business.
Air Conditioning & Heating Services Offered in Orlando and surrounding Central Florida Areas:
|Orlando Air Conditioner Installation
|Orlando Air Conditioner Installation
|HVAC Air Conditioning Maintenance
|Orlando Air Conditioning Service